The importance of personal statements for degrees pursued from the universities in UK
- February 15, 2023
- Posted by: administrator
- Category: Study in UK
If you are applying for a competitive subject in one of the universities in UK, a well-articulated personal statement is what makes your application stand out among others. A personal statement has to be attached to the application for admission to the universities in UK because it reflects the zeal, the sincerity of the students towards the course they wish to pursue. This can create a positive impression on the administrators. A good personal statement reflects upon your personality and sends a message that you are ready academically, and able enough to take a step into the next stage of your life as a university student.
At the same time, you should also avoid some common pitfalls. It is obvious that a student may feel it is a walkover to just apply and get admission to the course of their preference. In reality, they might be competing with hundreds of students with better grades. For example, the courses like law or economics, and vocational courses on subjects like medicine or veterinary science have seemingly fewer takers. But you may find students rushing in at the time of admission; they are also likely to have perfect grades. Under these circumstances, your personal statement is your opportunity to shine and study in the UK. Make no mistake. The person who would be in charge of the admissions procedure would either have a degree in the subject or at least a lot of first-hand knowledge. They can spot even the faintest dip in interest in your personal statement.
So here is how you need to prepare your personal statement to become a strong case for consideration:
- You need to thoroughly research the subject, research and analyze notes in written as well as spoken form.
- Summarize the reasons which prompted you to take the course, and study in that particular school/university. You must also be aware if the subject has added anything to your personal development.
- The personal statement should also enlist any part-time job you did, your work experience and whether you have conducted events in school or not.
- Participation in sports and other recreational activities too can add a lot merit of to your personal statements. Many universities in UK have a rich sporting culture which helps students excel in a game. If you have participated in a major sport in the past, do mention it in your statement. Sports and other activities of recreation do add that thrust to your personal statement which would give an impression that a student has the focus for his/her all-round development. More importantly, these sports activities can give the students a much-needed break from the monotony of attending classes.
- At last, you can choose to iterate your personal views as to why you want to study in the UK. When writing such iterations, keep the tone of the language personal and try to highlight the positives of studying abroad. By and large, you need to underline the fact that studying abroad can help you get international exposure. With the help of interactions with foreign nationals, you can widen your perspective. It is rather true that culturally diverse and vibrant institutions can help in improving career prospects.
Abroad studies are no longer a dream which can be chased by only a few. With the right grades, planning and meeting of the criteria, you too can get yourself enrolled at the university of your choice. Get in touch with education consultants to see if you are fit to apply for study abroad scholarships.